The emotional mountains are very high and the valleys very low in these teen years. If you are feeling caught in one of the valleys, here are a few simple mood boosters for teens:
- Exercise- If you need an immediate pick-me-up, getting some exercise, whether it is Zumba class or going for a run, will give you that rush of endorphins to make you feel better.
- Get involved- Helping people, be it in organized volunteering or doing some favors for your neighbor, has been shown to boost mood. Focusing on others–instead of yourself–and being a positive influence are surefire ways to feel better.
- Get social- You may feel like wallowing in bed all day, but getting out of the house and seeing people who make you happy is a tried and true cure for the blues.
- Gratitude journal- Start writing down a few positive notes each night: what you’re grateful for and what made you happy that day. Look for the little things in the day to be happy about. This way, you are focusing on the good. Plus, you can look back at previous entries and relive all of those great little moments!
- Eat right- Eating processed, fatty foods can lead to inflammation in the body, which is associated with depression. Exchange that sandwich for a salad and that soda for a water, and you will see a big difference in your mood!
You can hear more about mood boosters for teens in my recent guest segment on Health Check .
I hope this inspires you!